Catching our drift? FAQs

Here are some FAQs, but if you have any other questions please get in touch with us on

Is this normal?

Boaters, just the same as anyone with no fixed address, are entitled to vote.  The electoral commission asks boaters to vote in an area with which they have a ‘local connection’. (See the Electoral Commissions website  Some examples of a ‘Local Connection’ address may be: a boatyard you have used, a friend’s house, a place of work or study, a doctors or other service that you have used like a library, leisure centre, water facilities or somewhere that you have moored up.

What if I don’t live in one of the key marginal areas?

If you are a continuous cruiser, it is likely you will pass through and use services in a range of constituencies. You should choose a constituency you've spent time in and feel connected with.

How can I get more involved?

We need more hands on deck. This might include help with flyering and local events. It could also include supporting the national campaign. Please email You can also retweet and like our posts on social media. @votey_mcvote on twitter and votey.mcvoteface on Instgram.

Do I need to de-register if I was registered somewhere else?

No, you can register in more than one place - but you can only vote in one!

Why are you suggesting these particular addresses?

We suggest these as possible addresses to make it easier for people. They are the pubs, post offices, libraries etc which are nearest the canal. You can also use a different address if you choose - as on the bottom of the page on step 3 on the website... if you have a local connection with a different address you can manually fill in your form. Download and print the form from here.You can check if the address is in a marginal by putting the post code of the address into here.

Who set this up?

Votey McVoteface is a bunch of boaters (mostly continuous cruisers) interested in increasing voter empowerment.

When do I need to register?

Register by 5pm TODAY! 26 November to vote in the General Election on 12 December.

If you want to apply to vote by post, register before:

  • 5pm on 26 November if you live in England, Scotland or Wales
  • 5pm on 21 November if you live in Northern Ireland

If you’re going to be abroad on election day, you can apply to vote by proxy after you’ve registered.

Will my registration run out? 

Yes, if you are registering as No Fixed Address you need to re-register every year to confirm you are still connected to the same place.

Why are we doing this?

We believe that if more boaters - and other people with no fixed address - register to vote, and use their democratic power at the ballot box, we can positively influence local and national elections, get more representation in government, improve services for boaters, and ultimately make the world a better place

Who funded this?

The Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust provided a small grant to pay for core activities such as website development and materials.

Is anyone paid for running this campaign?

Mostly the campaign is run by unpaid volunteers but we have paid designers to design and build the website and have paid a northern England organiser to help boost the campaign in the north. 

Do you support a specific party?

We are not party political, but we do think the current government is as useful as a cardboard weedhatch. We support the parties which are most likely to get the tories out in any area. 

Who do you recommend we vote for?

We recommend that you vote for the party which is most likely to win against the conservative MP in your marginal constituency. In most places this is Labour or The Liberal Democrats. If you follow the process on our website it will tell you which party is most likely to win against the conservatives.

Does this work?

We’ve run this campaign before with success in London and the campaign works in exactly the same way on a national scale so yes. Remember it only take a few votes in the right place to make a titanic difference. 

Why should I bother?

In marginal constituencies your vote can really make a difference nationally. But beyond that boaters voting means more representation for boaters in government which should lead to improved services for boaters.

I have registered by sending off the ‘Declaration of Local Interest’ Form. Now what?

Once you have sent in your form (either digitally using the form on this site, or by printing and posting the version on the electoral commission website), you don’t need to do anything else until election day (unless you have asked to vote by post or proxy - that's a whole different process).  Then you turn up at your polling station (in some places you need ID). However, we recommend you double-check that your form was received properly and you are definitely on the electoral register. To do this contact the electoral office (which is part of the local authority) for the area in which you declared a local connection, to ask them to check that you are on the electoral register.

The electoral services may contact you and ask about your connection to this constituency

Next you can help us to get the message out by telling other boaters, tweeting, sharing on facebook, instagram, wherever you share about your life - worryingly few people with no fixed address are registered to vote as such- we need your help.

Do I need a polling card to vote?

No you don’t need a polling card to vote, just turn up with your ID on the day. According to the Electoral Commission: “you don’t need your polling card to vote if you are on
the electoral register”.

When are the next elections?

The next general election is December the 12th 2019

Is this only for general elections?

At the moment we are focusing our campaign on the general election, but in future would like to work on local elections too.

Why should you register? 

You have to be registered to vote so you can vote in elections and referendums. 

Who can vote in a general election or parliamentary by-election?

To vote in the UK you must be:
Aged 18 or over; and
Resident and registered to vote in the UK; and
A British or Irish citizen resident in the UK; or
A citizen of the Commonwealth nations of Malta and Cyprus; or
A Commonwealth citizen who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK.