Floating votes - how it works

Boaters are different to land lubbers

Boaters (and other people with no fixed address like van dwellers and travellers) can vote in any constituency in which they have a ‘local connection’. In practice this should be where you have spent some time (moored, used services, a friends house etc). To register to vote, you just fill in a 'Declaration of local connection’ form, also known as a ‘No Fixed Address’ form. More information at the government's electoral commission website www.electoralcommission.org.uk

“If you don't have a permanent mooring then you can register either at a place where you spend most of your time or have some connection.”

On the Votey McVoteface website we’ll help you to find out if the area you cruise in is a marginal constituency, give you a recommended address for registration* and provide a fillable Declaration of Local Connection form. So you don’t need to print and post the PDF on the Electoral commission website (though you can if you wish - it’s at ww.electoralcommission.org.uk)

To start, click here to choose one of the areas that you have a local connection to. If the area you regularly cruise in is not shown, then it’s unlikely to be a marginal constituency. You can still register to vote in this area, but our focus is on getting boaters registered in marginals as this is where the floating vote can really make the difference. 

You do not need your polling card to vote because voting is done using your name. But receiving one guarantees you have been added to the electoral register and tells you exactly where and when to vote. If you have not received a polling card but think you should, contact your local Electoral Registration Office.

Once you’ve registered please let your boaty friends know and encourage them to join us. Social media links are at the bottom of the page. 

And of course turn up to vote on election day! You need to go to the correct polling station. Find out where your polling station is at wheredoivote.co.uk or contact your electoral office. 

As part of the registration process you may be required to tell the Electoral Registration Office about your connection to this area. 

Also see our FAQs page

Once you have sent in your form

Once you have sent in your 'Declaration of Local Connection' form (either digitally using the fillable form on this site, or by printing and posting the version on the electoral commission website), you don’t need to do anything else until election day.  Then you turn up at your polling station (more info about this here). It might be useful to take a form of ID if you havn't got a polling card. Although this shouldn't be necessary. 

We do recommend double-checking that your 'Declaration of Local Connection' form was received properly and you are definitely on the electoral register. You can do this in two ways:
1. Collect your polling card - it will be sent to the address you gave on the declaration of local interest form.
2. Contact the electoral office (part of the local authority) by email or phone for the area in which you declared a local interest, to ask them to check that you are on the electoral register.

After that, help us to get the message out by telling other boaters, tweeting, WhatsApping, sharing on facebook, instagram, wherever you share about your life - worryingly few people with no fixed address are registered to vote - we need you!

*these are only suggested addresses you can use another if you wish